Frequently Asked Questions
OBDLink adapters do not support OBD-I.
Our scan tools and software work with 1996 and newer cars and light trucks originally sold new in the United States. Our tools also work with EOBD, JOBD, and all other international variants of OBD-II.
The OBDLink app and OBDwiz software are free for all OBDLink users; however, OBDLink/OBDwiz add-ons and third-party apps may require a separate purchase or subscription.
All OBDLink app OEM add-ons are free to MX+ users.
Yes, OBDLink adapters will work with electric and hybrid vehicles when paired with an OEM specific third-party app for select vehicles.
Here is a list of apps that support electric/hybrid vehicles:
- Scan My Tesla
- Hybrid Assistant
- Dr. Prius / Dr. Hybrid
We recommend you contact the app developer directly to confirm support for your vehicle.
It is possible to flash or modify the configuration of your ECU using an OBDLink adapter when paired with a 3rd party app such as FORScan, BimmerCode, Carista, AlfaOBD, MotoScan, and others for select vehicles.
- AlfaOBD is designed for Aberth, Alfa, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Innocenti, Jeep, Lancia, and RAM vehicles
- BimmerCode is designed for BMW and Mini vehicles
- Carista is designed for Audi, BMW, Cupra, Infiniti, Lexus, Mini, Nissan, Scion, Seat, Skoda, Toyota, and Volkswagen vehicles
- FORScan is designed for Ford, Lincoln, Mazda, and Mercury vehicles
- MotoScan is designed for BMW and Husqvarna motorcycles
We recommend that you confirm support for your vehicle with any apps you are considering. Links to each app’s supported vehicles list/wizard has been provided below:
Yes, OBDLink adapters support all light duty vehicles model year 2008 and newer sold new in Japan. From 2002 and 2007, Japan phased in JOBD compliance, so support is mixed between these years.
- Mobile OS support:
- iOS 9 and newer
- Android 4.4 and newer (SDK v19+)
- Windows Phone 8 and newer
Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
The .NET 4.5.2 Framework is required, and if not already installed, it will be handled during the installation.
Due to this requirement, Windows XP is no longer supported.
We do not have plans to develop software for Mac or Linux operating systems.
Yes, OBDwiz can be installed on up to three PCs per license.
OBDLink MX+, MX, and LX use a Class 1.5, Bluetooth 3.0 module:
- Receive Sensitivity: -86 dBm
- Max Power Output: +6 dBm
- Line of sight: 80m
OBDLink CX uses a Bluetooth 5.1 BLE module:
- Receive Sensitivity: -93 dBm
- Max Power Output: +2.2 dBm
- Line of sight: 80m
If you are interested in becoming an OBDLink reseller, please fill out this form so we can learn more about your business.
Yes, lifetime firmware, OBDLink app and OBDwiz software updates are included with your purchase.